Cosmetic Dentistry: Teeth Whitening
Millions of people have tried at-home teeth whitening treatments, only to be disappointed in their results. The fact is that whitening trays, gels, toothpastes, and kits are no match for an in-office teeth whitening treatment. When it comes to cosmetic dentistry teeth whitening has always been a very popular treatment due to its proven ability to produce results.
Causes of Stained Teeth
If you have discolored teeth, it can be due to a number of reasons like:
- Regular consumption of beverages like coffee, tea or red wine
- Smoking tobacco products
- Taking certain medications like some antibiotics, antipsychotics and antidepressants
- Tooth trauma, which may lay down a darker colored dentin layer to your teeth
Advantages of In-Office Teeth Whitening:
- Professional supervision
- Less tooth and gum sensitivity
- Ability to whiten the teeth to a greater degree
At-Home Teeth Whitening Just Doesn’t Cut It
One of the main problems with at-home teeth whitening treatments is the weakness of the whitening gel. Your dentist is able to use a higher strength whitening gel to help you obtain superior results.
Another drawback of at-home teeth whitening is that, even if you do notice some results, you tend to experience increased tooth and gum sensitivity. And this sensitivity can last for hours. Even days. Your dentist is able to isolate your teeth while they are being treated to keep the whitening gel away from sensitive gum tissue.
There are several different ways to have your teeth whitened professionally by your dentist. One way is having a mold created of your teeth to create a custom tray. Next, a bleaching gel will go into this tray and remain on your teeth for a specific amount of time.
Chair-side bleaching is another professional teeth whitening method in which your dentist applies a bleaching substance onto your teeth. This typically takes only one dental appointment.
Lasers can also be used to brighten your smile. First, a bleaching substance is applied onto your teeth, followed by the application of a strong laser that activates the whitening ability of the bleaching agent. This should take about one hour.
After Your Teeth Whitening Treatment
Now that you have had your teeth whitened professionally, you will want to maintain your results for as long as possible. Here are a few tips:
- Avoid dark-colored beverages like coffee, tea and red wine. Do not smoke.
- Watch out for acidic beverages, particularly dark sodas that combine acids and sugars.
- Avoid foods with added colors that may stain your teeth.
- The rule of thumb is that anything with the ability to stain a white shirt can stain your teeth.
Schedule Your Teeth Whitening
Are you ready to brighten your smile with a professional in-office teeth whitening treatment? Call our dentist today to schedule a cosmetic dentistry teeth whitening treatment and enjoy a dramatic boost to your self-esteem and self-confidence by displaying a healthy, bright smile.